Did you know that YCC owns and manages not one, but TWO alternative provision colleges?
The Brian Jackson Colleges are ‘alternative provisions’ providing vocational and core subject education for students aged 13-16, who have been excluded or are looking at permanent exclusion from a mainstream school. The colleges, based at Huddersfield and Heckmondwike, support students in many ways. Here are just a few….
At Brian Jackson College, we:
- Teach core subjects in preparation for GCSE examinations,
- Teach a large variety of vocational subjects, such as hairdressing, food tech and motor vehicle courses – which support pupils into ‘positive destinations’, such as employment or apprenticeships after graduation,
- Support all pupils with social, emotional and mental health difficulties by working with SENCOs (Special Educational Needs Coordinators) and Nurture Managers,
- Work together with each pupil to create a bespoke EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) whenever required.
- Deliver Key Worker sessions where students learn about conflict resolution, social media awareness and dealing with emotions.
- Prepare pupils for life after Brian Jackson College, including the accredited Financial Education Award that helps pupils plan to support themselves and live independently in the future.
- Make sure that the pupils have FUN and access to the normal experiences that teenagers should have – such as fitness coaching sessions, ice cream days, allotment visits, sports days, and MUCH MORE!!!
Leadership Team Coordinator, Samantha Latchayya, told us: “Brian Jackson College isn’t just a safe space for pupils to learn; it offers a new opportunity for these students who often feel let down by mainstream education, to discover their strengths, pursue their passions, and become successful adults. The work that the colleges do is simply inspiring!“.
Our most recent Ofsted report in March 2019 stated that ‘The school’s ethos and culture promotes all aspects of pupils’ welfare. Staff help pupils with previously unsuccessful experiences of school to overcome the barriers that exist and re-engage well with education. One pupil said, ‘They give us a future.’Jacqui Green, BJC Headteacher
Brian Jackson College shares the same mission as all of the YCC departments, to IMPROVE LIVES AND INSPIRE CHANGE. And boy do they deliver! Check out the 3 minute video below to gain a greater insight into Brian Jackson College…
Did you know that Brian Jackson College is currently recruiting? Click HERE to view the college’s current vacancies and join an incredible team of people!
Learn more about the colleges by visiting their website: www.brianjacksoncollege.co.uk