We love this time of the month: when we get to shout about our amazing volunteers and the, quite literally, life changing work they do to help YCC run smoothly and effectively.
This month we are giving a very special THANK YOU to Freya Askwith-Martin who has been volunteering at YCC’s Stay and Play sessions since November 2022 whilst studying for her degree at Huddersfield University.
We caught up with Freya to hear about her YCC Volunteering journey so far…
- Name: Freya Askwith-Martin
- Tell us a little about yourself? I am in my second year at Huddersfield University studying a joint honours degree in Sociology and Psychology.
- How long have you been volunteering for the charity? I have been volunteering at YCC since November 2022.
- Please explain your volunteering role in a nutshell: On a Tuesday morning I help set up the Stay and Play room ready for when parents and children arrive. I then stay during the session and play with the children and catch up with the parents. On a Thursday afternoon I help out with the Early Onset Dementia Support Group where we play games and catch up.
- What made you want to start volunteering with YCC? I needed to carry out work experience for one of my assignments and when I was reading the information on the YCC website I knew I wanted to do it there. The services are amazing and I wanted to work with children and young families. I enjoy volunteering at YCC so much, I often forget I am there to work towards my assignment.
- Tell us a bit about your role: My two days at YCC are very different as one involves helping with the set up of the Stay and Play session, and the other is socialising with the DSG members. I enjoy working with both adults and children.
- And finally, what advice would you give to people considering volunteering with YCC? To anyone considering volunteering with YCC I would recommend doing so without hesitation. They offer so many different services and the staff are lovely and helpful. I’m so grateful to YCC for letting me volunteer with them and giving me the opportunities they have.
If you feel inspired to become a volunteer like Freya, or if you would like to volunteer in any way for our charity, please contact Lucy on 01484 519988 or email [email protected]